Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Vain Janglings

Wed 2 Sept 1747: I spent some time with T. Prosser who had filled the society with vain janglings. I found the fault lay in his head rather than his heart; he is an honest, well-meaning man, but no more qualified either by nature or grace to expound Scripture than to read lectures in logic or algebra.
Yet even men of sense have taken this dull, mystical man to be far deeper than he is. And it is very natural so to do. If we look into a dark pit it seems deep. But the darkness only makes it seem so. Bring the light and we shall see it is very shallow.
In the evening I preached at Fonmon. But the congregation being larger than the chapel would contain, I was obliged to preach in the court. I was myself much comforted in comforting the weary and heavy laden.