Sunday, October 25, 2009

Falling Horse and the Grace of God

Sun 25 Oct 1741: After the Sacrament at All Saints’ I took horse for Kingswood. But before I came to Lawrence Hill my horse fell, and attempting to rise, fell down again upon me. One or two women ran out of a neighbouring house, and when I rose, helped me in. I adore the wisdom of God. In this house were three persons who began to run well, but Satan had hindered them. But they resolved to set out again. And not one of them has looked back since.
Notwithstanding this delay I got to Kingswood by two. The words God enabled me to speak there, and afterwards at Bristol (so I must express myself still; for I dare not ascribe them to my own wisdom), were as a hammer and a flame. And the same blessing we found at the meeting of the society. But more abundantly at the love-feast which followed. I remember nothing like it for many months. A cry was heard from one end of the congregation to the other; not of grief, but of overflowing joy and love. ‘O continue forth thy loving-kindness unto them that know thee; and thy mercy to them that are true of heart!’