Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Dangerous Book

Wed 2 Dec 1789: I had leisure to consider thoroughly the account of the Pelew Islands. It is ingenious; but I esteem it a dangerous book, which I cannot believe, if I believe the Bible; for the direct tendency of it is to show, that the Bible is quite needless; since if men may be as virtuous without revelation as with it, then it is quite superfluous; then the fable of Jesus Christ, and that of Mahomet, are equally valuable. I do not say that Mr. Keate, much less Captain Wilson, designed to inculcate this consequence; but it necessarily follows, if you believe the premises. I cannot believe there is such a Heathen on earth as Abba Thulle; much less such a heathen nation as are here painted.
But what do you think of Prince Lee Boo? I think he was a good-natured, sensible young man, who came to England with Captain Wilson, and had learned his lesson well; but was just as much a Prince, as Tomo Chachi was a King.