Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Sick John Wesley

Wed 30 and Thur 31 Dec 1741: By the unusual overflowing of peace and love to all which I felt, I was inclined to believe some trial was at hand. At three in the afternoon my fever came. But finding it was not violent, I would not break my word, and therefore went at four and committed to the earth the remains of one who had died in the Lord a few days before; neither could I refrain from exhorting the almost innumerable multitude of people, who were gathered together round her grave, to cry to God that they might die the death of the righteous, and their last end be like hers. I then designed to lie down, but Sir John G coming and sending to speak with me, I went to him, and from him into the pulpit, knowing God could renew my strength. I preached, according to her request who was now with God, on those words with which her soul had been so refreshed a little before she went hence, after a long night of doubts and fears: ‘Thy sun shall no more go down, neither shall thy moon withdraw itself. For the Lord shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.’
At the society which followed many cried after God with a loud and bitter cry. About ten I left them and committed myself into his hands, to do with me what seemed him good.