Monday, March 29, 2010

Now let me redeem the time!

Mon 29 Mar 1762: I came to the New-Passage a little before nine. The rain and wind increased much while we were on the water: However, we were safe on shore at ten. I preached about twelve in the new Room at Chepstow. One of the congregation was a neighbouring Clergyman, who lived in the same staircase with me at Christ-Church, and was then far more serious than me. Blessed be God, who has looked upon me at last! Now let me redeem the time!
In the afternoon we had such a storm of hail as I scarce ever saw in my life. The roads likewise were so extremely bad that we did not reach Hereford till past eight. Having been well battered both by hail, rain, and wind, I got to bed as soon as I could, but was waked many times by the clattering of the curtains. In the morning I found the casement wide open; but I was never the worse. I took horse at six, with William Crane and Francis Walker. The wind was piercing cold, and we had many showers of snow and rain; but the worst was, part of the road was scarce passable; so that, at Church-Stretton, one of our horses lay down, and would go no farther. However, William Crane and I pushed on, and before seven reached Shrewsbury.
A large company quickly gathered together: Many of them were wild enough; but the far greater part were calm and attentive, and came again at five in the morning.