Friday, May 7, 2010

Forglen

Fri 7 May 1784: I took a walk round about the town. I know not when I have seen so pleasant a place. One part of the house is an ancient castle, situated on the top of a little hill. At a small distance runs a clear river with a beautiful wood on its banks. Close to it is a shady walk to the right, and another on the left hand. On two sides up the house there is abundance of wood; on the other, a wide prospect over fields and meadows. About ten, I preached again with much liberty of spirit, on ‘Love never faileth.’ About two, I left this charming place and made for Keith. But I know not how we could have got thither had not Lady Banff sent me forward through that miserable road with four stout horses.
I preached about seven to the poor of this world. Not a silk coat was seen among them; and to the greatest part of them at five in the morning. And I did not at all regret my labour.