Monday, May 17, 2010

No, I am John Wesley himself

Mon 17 May 1742: I had designed this morning to set out for Bristol, but was unexpectedly prevented. In the afternoon I received a letter from Leicestershire, pressing me to come without delay, and pay the last office of friendship to one whose soul was on the wing for eternity. On Thursday 20 I set out. The next afternoon I stopped a little at Newport Pagnell, and then rode on till I overtook a serious man, with whom I immediately fell into conversation. He presently gave me to know what his opinions were; therefore I said nothing to contradict them. But that did not content him. He was quite uneasy to know whether I held the doctrine of the decrees as he did. But I told him over and over, ‘We had better keep to practical things, lest we should be angry at one another.’ And so we did for two miles, till he caught me unawares and dragged me into the dispute before I knew where I was. He then grew warmer and warmer, told me I was rotten at heart, and supposed I was one of John Wesley’s followers. I told him, ‘No; I am John Wesley himself.’ Upon which,
Improvisum aspris veluti qui sentibus anguem Pressit he would gladly have run away outright. But being the better mounted of the two I kept close to his side and endeavoured to show him his heart, till we came into the street of Northampton.