Saturday, June 26, 2010

People might know their sins were forgiven

Sat 26 Jun 1742: I was desired to call upon Mr. Walker, ‘the pillar of the church’ in these parts. As soon as I came in he fell upon me with might and main for saying people might know their sins were forgiven. And brought a great book to confute me at once. I asked if it was the Bible. And upon his answering, ‘No,’ inquired no farther, but laid it quietly down. This made him warmer still, upon which I held it best to shake him by the hand and take my leave.
I had appointed to preach in Stroud at noon. But about ten, observing it to rain faster and faster, I was afraid the poor people would not be able to come, many of whom lived some miles off. But in a quarter of an hour the rain ceased, and we had a fair, pleasant day; so that many were at the market-place while I applied the story of the Pharisee and publican, the hard rain in the morning having disengaged them from their work in the grounds. There would probably have been more disturbance, but that a drunken man began too soon, and was so senselessly impertinent that even his comrades were quite ashamed of him.
In the evening I preached on Minchinhampton Common. Many of Mr. Whitefield’s society were there, to whom, as well as to all the other sinners (without meddling with any of their opinions), I declared, in the name of the Great Physician, ‘I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely.’