Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What must I do to be saved?

Tue 8 June 1742: I walked to Hibaldstow (about twelve miles from Epworth) to see my brother and sister. The minister of Owston (two miles from Epworth) having sent me word I was welcome to preach in his church, I called there in my return; but his mind being changed I went to another place in the town and there explained, ‘Thou shalt call his name Jesus; for he shall save his people from their sins.’ At eight I largely enforced at Epworth the great truth (so little understood in what is called a Christian country), ‘Unto him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted to him for righteousness.’ I went thence to the place where the little society met, which was sufficiently thronged both within and without. Here I found some from Hainton (a town twenty miles off) who informed us that God had begun a work there also, and constrained several to cry out in the bitterness of their soul, What must I do to be saved?