Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The poor people of Frederica

Tue 12 October1736: We considered if anything could yet be done for the poor people of Frederica. And I submitted to the judgment of my friends, which was, that I should take another journey thither; Mr. Ingham undertaking to supply my place at Savannah for the time I should stay there. I came thither on Saturday the 16th, and found few things better than I expected. The morning and evening prayers, which were read for a while after my leaving the place, had been long discontinued, and from that time everything grew worse and worse; not many retaining any more of the form than of the power of godliness.
I was at first a little discouraged, but soon remembered the word which cannot fail: ‘Greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world.’ I cried to God to ‘arise and maintain his own cause’, and after the evening prayers were ended invited a few to my house (as I did every night while I stayed in Frederica). I read to them one of the exhortations of Ephraem Syrus, the most awakening writer (I think) of all the ancients. We concluded our reading and conversation with a psalm, and, I trust, our God gave us his blessing.