Saturday, January 29, 2011

Published Prayers by John Wesley: 1. Intoduction


I am starting a series of posts on some of the prayers that John Wesley wrote for publication.
It is sometimes a good idea to use the prayers that others have written as this can help us enlarge our own prayer life and even take us to areas that we wouldn't normally think of praying about. The prayers I have selected are from “Prayers for Children” in the Works of John Wesley: the Jackson Edition, Volume Eleven. The language of course is 18th-century English but I have chosen not to
paraphrase but to quote Wesley directly. One hears many echos from the Book of Common Prayer, which JW used every day of his life in ministry. Develop a similar pattern of prayer HERE
I have found that although these prayers were written for ‘children’ they work wonderfully in the life of this 50 year old dentalmethodist child.
I hope you enjoy them. They were published as morning and evening prayers.