Saturday, February 5, 2011

An Evening Prayer from John Wesley's Published Prayers 4.

Evening Prayer
ALMIGHTY God, who art the gracious Preserver of all mankind, I desire now to offer
unto thee my praise and thanksgivings, for all the blessings thou hast this day bestowed
upon me. I confess, O my God, that I am unworthy of the least of all thy mercies; for I
have gone astray like a lost sheep. I have followed too much the devices and desires of
my own heart. I have offended against thy holy laws. I have left undone those things
which I ought to have done, and have done those things which I ought not to have done;
and there is no health in me. But thou, O Lord, have mercy upon me, a miserable
offender. Spare me, O Lord, who now confess my faults unto thee. Enable me to bewail
my manifold sins and offences, which I have from time to time most grievously
committed, by thought, word, and deed, against thy divine
Majesty. Have mercy upon me, have mercy upon me, most merciful Father; for my
Saviour Jesus Christ's sake, forgive me all that is past, and grant me thy grace, that I may
ever hereafter serve and please thee, in newness of life, to the honour and glory of thy
name, through Jesus Christ my Lord and Saviour. Take me under thy gracious care and
keeping this night; save and defend me from all dangers. Grant unto my body rest in my
bed, and unto my soul rest in thyself; and be thou my God and my guide, my hope and
my help, my joy and my comfort, now and for evermore, through Jesus Christ my
Redeemer. Amen.