Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Wesley's Prayers for Children 6

Evening Prayer
O LORD God, the gracious Giver of all good things, I praise and adore thee for thy
goodness, which has been so plentiful towards me an unworthy child of man. Thou hast
in thy mercy, not only preserved me this day from all dangers, but bestowed upon me all
things needful, for which I desire entirely to praise thy fatherly goodness, and with angels
and archangels, and all the company of heaven, to laud and magnify thy holy name.
Bless, then, the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, praise his holy name; for the
Lord is gracious, and his mercy is everlasting towards them that fear him. And now,
Lord, I most humbly implore thy fatherly goodness to forgive me whatever has this day,
in my heart or life, offended the eyes of thy glory. O Lamb of God, Son of the Father, that
takest away the sins of the world, receive my prayer. Prevent me, O Lord, in all my
doings for the time to come, and further me with thy continual help, that, in all my
thoughts, words, and works, I may continually glorify thy holy name. Grant me thy grace,
that I may follow thy blessed saints in all righteousness and holy living, that I may at last
come to be a partaker with them of glory everlasting. Do thou enable me, gracious Lord,
to adorn thy gospel in all holy conversation, and to do whatever I do to the glory of thy
name. Cleanse the thoughts of my heart, by the inspiration of thy Holy Spirit, that I may
perfectly love thee, and worthily magnify thy holy name. Let thy fatherly hand be ever
over me, and thy Holy Spirit be ever with me; and do thou so lead me in the knowledge
and obedience of thy word, that, in the end, I may obtain everlasting life, through Jesus
Christ my Lord. And now, O Lord, as the night is come upon me, and as I am ready to
betake myself to rest, I desire to commit myself to thy protection, who neither slumberest
nor sleepest, but hast still a watchful eye over me: O watch over me for good, that none
of the evils I deserve may fall upon me. Preserve me from all terrors and dangers in the
night. Remove my sin out of thy sight, and show me the light of thy countenance, and
refresh me with the sense of thy favour, through Jesus Christ my Redeemer; to whom,
with thee and the Holy Ghost, be all honour and praise for ever and ever. Amen.