Thursday, September 22, 2011

Daily Devotions for Week 6 of Sermon on the Mount Thur

Week 6 Day 4 Devotions

A Very Good Book

“The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever.”
Isaiah 40:8

While there are many reasons why Jesus makes it clear that the Law and the Prophets are not done away with, among them moral, historical and theological reasons, today we look at a more down-to-earth reason: The Old Testament (to which Jesus was referring) and of course the whole Bible as we know it today, is plain and simply a very good book. Hold your Bible in your hand and read the following :

All Sufficient
When I am tired, the Bible is my bed;
Or in the dark, the Bible is my light;
When I am hungry, it is vital bread;
Or fearful, it is armor for the fight.
When I am sick, 'tis healing medicine;
Or lonely, thronging friends I find therein.
If I would work, the Bible is my tool;
Or play, it is a harp of happy sound.
If I am arrogant, it is my school.
If I am sinking, it is solid ground.
If I am cold, the Bible is my fire;
And it is wings, if boldly I aspire.
Should I be lost, the Bible is my guide;
Or naked, it is raiment rich and warm.
Am I imprisoned, it is ranges wide;
Or tempest-tossed, a shelter from the storm.
Would I adventure, 'tis a gallant sea;
Or would I rest, it is a flowery lea.
Does gloom oppress? The Bible is a sun,
Or ugliness? It is a garden fair.
Am I athirst? How cool its currents run!
Or stifled? What a vivifying air!
Since thus thou givest of thyself to me,
How should I give myself great Book to thee!
[Author Unknown]

God of all power, and truth, and grace,
Which shall from age to age endure;
Whose word, when heaven and earth shall pass,
Remains and stands for ever sure. (380)