Friday, February 1, 2013

Questions and Study notes based on Covenant Service


Questions and Study notes based on Covenant Service
Read the sermon here

1. “What people don’t realize is how much faith costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course it is a cross.”
What is electric blanket faith? What is saving faith?

2. How does the truth that "I know you ... I consecrated you ... I appointed you" set our feet once again on a steady path.

3. “Expectations and fulfillment are not always harmonious”…………discuss times when your expectations and God’s fulfilment of your expectations have been harmonious. Discuss times when your expectations and God’s fulfilment of your expectations have not been harmonious. Which seems to be more common in our Scriptures, and in your life?

4. “God's grace often shows up in places we don't expect, in people we don’t like, or it leads us in directions we would rather not go.” Discuss.

5. “If we wish to follow this Jesus, the invitation is always to be ready for surprises.” Has Jesus ever surprised you?

6. Reflect on our Covenant Prayer during the week:

Monday: I no longer want to control my life, but surrender it to You, Lord,
Tuesday: Put me to whatever purpose You choose,
Wednesday: Link my life to whoever You will, for whatever purpose;
                       Send me to whatever task You have in mind for me;
Thursday: If suffering be Your purpose for me, I accept it;
Friday: May my life be used by You or not used, if You so decide;
             May it be filled with meaningful purpose, or,
              if You prefer it, have no apparent purpose;
Saturday: Let it be filled with many useful material things,
                  Or, if You so plan it, be emptied of material benefit.
                  With all my heart I yield everything to Your control.