Sunday, June 25, 2017

Should Men Have Botox



Q Despite eating well and exercising frequently, my face betrays every one of my 47 years. Should I consider “aesthetic intervention”?  Matt, Manchester

[Article sourced here]

There is a cosmetic-surgery gag in an early episode of The Simpsons that still makes me hoot. When rumours of the sale of the Springfield nuclear plant begin circulating, rising stocks give employees an overnight windfall. Overexcited, most use theirs to buy sports cars; Homer, of course, spends his on beer. Meanwhile, Lenny decides to fork out on a dazzling facelift. Spirits are dampened, however, when it’s revealed that Mr Burns has offloaded his factory to hapless German investors. “Look at all those worried faces,” Marge says. “Except for Lenny. He looks great!” Cue Lenny, rictus grin intact. “This is the worst day of my life,” he says.

 

Cosmetic procedures have come a long way since the 1990s. Back then we associated them with meretricious freakery: all wild eyes, bodged noses and pneumatic breasts. In the public eye, there were as many celebrity disaster stories as there were plastic fantasies. What united these extreme makeovers was an espousal of artificiality, as though going under the knife wasn’t a means to an end so much as a look in its own right. As ever, money and insecurity make for a toxic marriage.

 

Nowadays, not only has the approach changed (surgery is on the wane, while non-invasive procedures predominate), but so too has the clientele. In fact, Lenny might be seen as a trailblazer here, because working men now account for as many as 30% of patients at some clinics. Walk-in procedures range from Botox and dermal fillers, for erasing signs of age, to cryolipolysis, or fat freezing, for the removal of subcutaneous tissue — love handles to you and me. Apparently there’s also something called “scrotox”, though a nervous disposition prohibits me from researching this further.

Needless to say, the youthful airiness of my own complexion means I have never had cause to employ such services. But just for you, Matt, I decided to book a consultation with Dr Anne Mendelovici at the renowned Sebagh clinic in Wimpole Street, central London.

 

French, elegant and both proud practitioner and recipient of Botox, she tells me what constitutes a good treatment. “I’m interested in making people look fresher, not dumber,” she says, mimicking an Instagram trout pout. “It’s about age maintenance. People want to look better for longer. I see senior managers who want to keep ahead of the game. They want to show young executives who’s boss. But less is always more. Botox is conservation, just like any other form of grooming.” And with that, I find myself having the crow’s feet and brow furrows I never knew existed marked up for a hit of botulinum toxin type A.

 

The first thing to be said is that it hurts. I’ve heard the sensation likened to a bug bite — maybe so, but there are midges and then there are bullet ants. When you’re on the receiving end of 16 injections, that’s a lot of bullet ants chomping on your kisser. Nevertheless, it’s over within minutes and I leave the surgery blemish-free. The second, more pertinent thing to be said is that it works. Over the course of the following week, I gradually watch my eyes widen and my face become less ravaged. Crucially, nobody notices. Still, when I arrive at work on less than four hours’ sleep and am told I look refreshed, I take this as an endorsement.

 

Should you, Matt? Well, far be it from me to advise any man to have his forehead punctured repeatedly in the name of vanity. What I will say, however, is that my experience was surprisingly gainful. Surprising because my usual approach to self-preservation involves punishing myself with exercise before compensating with good food and drink. (My body is like a temple with a nice bar attached.) Botox didn’t feel like the grotesque show I feared it might. Instead, it proved to be a welcome shot in the, um, face. I’m glad it happened. I’d consider it again. And that’s about as close as I’m going to get to saying yes.