Saturday, October 21, 2017

‘I didn’t tell my wife I’d had Botox’


 I have had more grooming treatments than pretty much any other man I know. Certainly more than any British man my age (39) I know. I’ve lived in New York since 2014 where it is not uncommon for men to pop out for “lunchtime procedures”, so my efforts to look better don’t seem so extreme over here. I write for a men’s magazine, so I’ve road-tested many new procedures for writing material.

Dan Rookwood, former editor of Men's Health, wrote this article for The Times [Article sourced here

Botox
I didn’t tell my wife I’d had Botox. I wanted to see if she would notice. In the end it was her mum who twigged and dobbed me in. (Thanks a bunch, Lynn.) I have long had a deeply furrowed brow, which can make me look frowny. Botox injections, which cost about £250, prevent the muscles from contracting, which softens fine lines and wrinkles. It’s still worryingly underregulated though. I had mine done by a well-known dermatologist.

Would I do it again?
On the face of it, getting injected in the forehead with poison doesn’t sound like the best idea. But I am vain. So yes I would. I’d just be subtle about it. You can instantly spot the people who have overdone it.

Teeth whitening
For someone who drinks as much tea, coffee and red wine as I do, whitening toothpastes don’t scratch the surface. You can wear a mouth guard at home with a bleaching agent, but that’s a faff. It’s far easier and quicker to have your teeth whitened at the dentist. They clamp your mouth open, smear some gel over the exposed gnashers and shine a bright light on them for an hour. Your teeth feel zingy for a couple of hours afterwards, but the megawatt smile makes it worth the £250.

Would I do it again?
Absolutely. I’ve done it several times — probably about once a year. But one must be careful not to go too Simon Cowell.